To have your application taken into consideration you must meet the following prerequisites and agree to follow the rules listed below. If you would like to apply to become Homecoming Royalty, please fill out the 2017 Homecoming Court Application Form.
1. Applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University.
2. Applicant must be enrolled as a student for the 2017 fall semester as a junior (60 credit hours) or senior (90 credit hours).
3. Applicant must be able to attend all important dates and Homecoming events. If unable to attend candidates need to inform the Director of Highsmith Student Union in writing or by email a minimum of TWO days prior to event. Absences could lead to disqualification.
- Interview for Court – Wednesday, September 6th – Time slots start at 5:00 p.m.
- Information Session for Finalists – Thursday, September 7th at 12:00 p.m.
- Video Filming – Sunday, September 10th
Friday, September 22nd
- Golf Cart Assembly Party – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 23rd
- Parade – 1:30 p.m.
- Tailgate – 2:00 p.m.
- Homecoming Royalty Coronation at Men’s Soccer Game 7:00 p.m. at Greenwood Soccer Field
- Highsmith After Dark –at 10:00 p.m. – Highsmith Student Union
4. Applicant must submit application due online no later than 11:59 p.m. on Monday, September 4, 2017.
5. Applicants may be sponsored by a student club, organization or UNC Asheville faculty or staff member. Student clubs, organizations and faculty or staff can sponsor up to two candidates.
6. The use of alcohol or drugs before, during or immediately following a Homecoming event is strictly prohibited. Any court member found in violation of this rule will be disqualified immediately.
7. Inappropriate behavior or attitudes will not be tolerated. Consequences for your actions will be final.
8. If you are a former UNC Asheville Homecoming Royalty you are NOT eligible to enter.
Homecoming Court Important Policies
Interviews: All applicants will be interviewed on Wednesday, September 6, 2017. Please keep in mind that interviews are business casual. You will be critiqued on Appearance, Poise, Articulation/Communication, and Question and Answer. Some questions you may be asked during the interview include “Why did you choose UNC Asheville?” and “If there is one positive change you could make at UNC ASHEVILLE, what would it be and why?”
UNC ASHEVILLE Traditions Quiz: Candidates will be asked to complete a 10 question multiple choice quiz about different aspects of UNC ASHEVILLE before or after their interview. The questions asked will be from different areas including, basic information about UNC ASHEVILLE, important UNC ASHEVILLE Administrators and Alumni, Athletics, and Traditions. Traditions may also include past musical acts or comedians who have performed at UNC ASHEVILLE. Sample questions are below to help candidates get a better idea of what to expect on the quiz.
- Who was the former Chancellor of UNC ASHEVILLE before Dr. Mary Grant?
- What year was UNC ASHEVILLE founded?
Court Selection: Candidates will be selected based on a score out of 100 points. The point total will be taken from the candidate’s interview (80 pts.) and the UNC ASHEVILLE Traditions Quiz (20 pts.). There will be up to 8 candidates selected for court.
Campaigning: Campaigning is allowed and strongly encouraged for those making the Homecoming Court. Campaigning may begin on Wednesday, September 13, 2017. Campaigning includes, but is not limited to, the distribution of flyers, posters, buttons, and/or any other materials that portray a candidate’s image, name, qualifications, and desire to be Homecoming Royalty. Candidates must follow campaigning guidelines as outlined in this packet (page 6).
Sponsorship: Candidates may be sponsored by a UNC Asheville student club, organization or a faculty or staff member. Student clubs, organizations and faculty or staff can sponsor up to two Homecoming Royalty candidates.
Spirit Points: The following points will be given to student organizations/groups/clubs that sponsor a Homecoming Royalty candidate:
- Homecoming Royalty nomination – 10 points each
- Nomination makes the Homecoming Court – 20 points each
- Nomination is crowned Royalty – 30 points each
Voting: All currently enrolled UNC Asheville students may vote for candidates on the Homecoming Court. Students are only allowed to vote for up to three candidates for Homecoming Royalty. Voting will be via email link during Homecoming Week.
Mandatory Dates: Failure to attend any of the activities specified as mandatory will result in immediate disqualification unless it is an emergency, class or approved by the Director of Highsmith Student Union. Due to the advanced notification, work will not be considered an excused absence.
- Campaigning is not allowed prior to Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
- Campaigning is defined as any action to solicit votes.
- Voting will start at 12:00 a.m. Wednesday, September 20th and close on Thursday, September 21st at 11:59 p.m.
- All materials posted must follow all UNC Asheville posting policies. In addition, the staff/administrators in the building you wish to post in must approve all campaigning materials.
- All publicity should be in good spirit of Homecoming and UNC Asheville. Publicity may not be used to slander another candidate.
- Campaigning is prohibited in class or in any campus computer lab.
- All posted materials must have UNC Asheville Homecoming 2017 on it.
- Candidates are not allowed to run as a pair/group. Campaigning will only be done on an individual basis. Candidates found running together will result in a disqualification.
- With credible evidence, any candidate who is found guilty of tampering with other candidates campaigning materials will be disqualified.
- Any complaints regarding violations of campaign rules need to be submitted in writing or by email to the Director of Highsmith Student Union within 24 hours of offense. All decisions regarding violations are final.